Friday, April 8, 2016

Book Review: Toxin Toxout by Bruce Lourie and Rick Smith

by M. J. Joachim


Probably one of the more scary books I’ve read in a while, Toxin Toxout caused a dramatic effect on my own personal lifestyle. Never one to enjoy chemicals and their affects on me, I’ve always sought to live simply and purely, using products that are seemingly good for my health and the environment. You know, things like pure and clear products that promise to be free of chemicals, dyes, perfumes and unnecessary additives. Little did I know there were so many legal loopholes designed to fool consumers, while big companies continue to reap their profits.

Toxin Toxout prompted me to make some changes. Ever the over thinker of things, it dawned on me that my appliance maintenance guy told me to clean my washer and dishwasher with vinegar from time to time, to rid it of unnecessary chemical build up that could minimize its effectiveness and cause extra maintenance fees. Well, if it can do that to the machine, imagine what it can do to our bodies. My thoughts were quickly validated by reading Toxin Toxout. Having heard salt can be used as a scrubbing agent, acids like vinegar and lemon are excellent for cleaning built up soap scum and removing grease, and baking soda eliminates odors, I quickly set to the task of rinsing my laundry in a baking soda, salt and vinegar mixture to rid it of unnecessary soap residue. I did the same for my dishes, and haven’t had to rewash the soap residue on them since. Of course, I also use the extra sanitize feature on my dishwasher, to make sure there’s no vinegar, salt and baking soda residue either.

I digress, but not without reason. You see, I also switched to chemical free shampoo and lotions, because Toxin Toxout made that much of an impression on me. We are exposed to so many chemicals every day, there’s no reason to purposely expose ourselves to more. Of course you might think switching from my free and clear cleaning supplies is a little much, so let me explain the reasoning behind this a little bit more.

It took me quite a bit of research, but I eventually found what I was looking for, the ingredient list for my free and clear dish soap. I couldn’t have been more ticked, as I realized I’d been duped and wasn’t getting anything free and clear at all. A picture is worth a thousand words, so I’ll share the screenshots of the labels with you. The ingredients are the same, right down to the fragrance and color additives!





To say I recommend this book is an understatement. We all need to be aware of what we put in our bodies and how we might be duped by Big Corp America. We all need to make educated decisions, not solely based on the often deceitful labels provided at the store, but also through our own limited research capabilities (as these companies are very adept at hiding what they don’t want consumers to find out), and our willingness to be informed when purchasing products. I’m not an extremist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do like to eat healthy, non-toxic food and use cleaning products that not only work, but won’t cause unnecessary side effects, like cancer and other health problems down the road.

It’s a scary book, but one I know we all should read, if for no other reason than to force Big Corp America into catering to the real supply and demand, the one where consumer buying power is enough to prevent harsh and often deadly chemicals, from being part of our everyday norm.

Wishing you health and happiness,

M. J.

©2016 All Rights Reserved