Friday, November 6, 2015

Movie Review: Penguin Post Office by Nature, PBS

by M. J. Joachim




Add Antarctica to my bucket list after watching this short film of lively penguins in their natural habitat. A British Post Office is maintained during the mating season and cruise ships drop patrons on a once in a lifetime tour, where they can get souvenirs and mail postcards in this unusual and remarkable place on earth.

The penguins are positively endearing! They’re so much fun to watch, which is a good thing, because I’m not a cold climate type person at all, so watching them from my living room suits me just fine. Still, I wouldn’t mind taking a cruise up there during the tourist season, if for nothing else, to see these expressive little critters for myself.

The post office is maintained by volunteers for a few months out of the year. They hunker down, take up duties and devote themselves to whatever it takes to keep this small portion of our planet enticing to visitors. This includes delivering mail, working in the gift shop and cleaning penguin poop off the main trail to the post office.

If you like penguins, have an adventurous spirit and are in the mood to watch some merrymaking penguins steal your heart, this short film is exactly what you’re looking for. Aside from that, it might give you something to add to your bucket list too, because honestly, I want to go and visit the Penguin Post Office for myself.

Happy Friday to you and yours,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: CCO Public Domain