Sunday, November 1, 2015

Movie Review: Burnt

by M. J. Joachim


It was with intrigued anticipation that my husband took me to see Burnt last night. I’ve been rather caught up with my reading and writing as of late, so I hadn’t heard much about it at all. My husband made me promise not to look it up, which ultimately led to a playful date night, with me bugging him to tell me more until we finally settled in our seats to watch the film.

Burnt is one of those light-hearted, message beyond the message, type films. There’s a bit of comedy and romance, surrounded by a main character trying to pick up the pieces of his broken life, and ultimately making peace with his past while learning a lot about living in community. That’s the deeper message in the film, that everyone can give themselves a second chance, and it would be positively foolish not to try and redeem yourself, especially if you have something very special to share with the world.

Hands down, this is an undeniable chick flick, the kind that has her wanting to get up in Bradley Cooper’s grill from time to time, and tell him exactly what she thinks without holding back. It wasn’t that intense for me, as I rarely see the point in being overly confrontational, but the main character certainly was an utter jerk at times, and as much as I wanted to see him succeed, there were a few times when I wanted to see him get what was coming to him, which he did in one scene, and the entire audience cheered and even giggled, because it truly served him right. Mind you, it was Halloween, so the audience was unusually small.

It’s not the best film I’ve ever seen, but truth be told, I liked it and my husband and I had a wonderful time watching it together. At first I thought I might go crazy when the lady in front of us took off her shoes, put her feet up on the seat in front of her, between two couples I might add, and started stretching her toes while saying, “Whew! It was such a long day today, wasn’t it?” to her husband. I don’t care how long your day is, that’s just rude, and I’m truly glad she didn’t talk through the entire movie, and ultimately put her stretched out piggies down about halfway through it. It was almost worse than the person two rows in front of her looking at their cell phone from time to time.

Movie etiquette aside, if you want to see something light and fun, Burnt is a fine movie to see. The acting was good. The story was agreeable and the film in general was put together well.

Happy November everyone. I hope your Sunday has and will continue to be delightful for you,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved