Saturday, November 14, 2015

Book Review: The Survival of Thomas Ford by John A. A. Logan

by M. J. Joachim



Talk about a thriller! The Survival of Thomas Ford is a page turner you definitely won’t want to put down. I did, only because I was reading it so late at night, and knew I wouldn’t sleep unless I read something a bit more edifying before I turned out the lights and went to sleep. It’s a quirk of mine, but I still had to take extra cautions to prevent myself from having nightmares. This book had me double checking the doors and windows to make sure everything was locked up tight.

It’s good. There’s no question about that, and I will be adding it to my Recommended Reading list. There are so many twists, turns and unexpected, sometimes excruciating details, things that make the rest of the story come alive, which is probably why I had to take it easy on my psyche a bit, delicate soul that I tend to be at times.

Thomas Ford is quite the character, but his bird faced counterpart, the villain along with his father, are some of the strangest, most vile people you’d ever want to meet. And meet them you do, as they filter into every crevice of your brain, creeping you out with their evil, mental illness, their psychotic, impulsive behavior and their repulsively disconnected inhumane treatment of others. You want to hate them, though the tiniest part of you wants to help them too, only in so far as it will make you feel better, because these guys are some of the worst cases of lawbreaking offenders anyone could ever imagine.

Thomas Ford, on the other hand, is a guy who ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time, a guy who paid much too high of a price, for driving on a country road. The events that followed, the accident, death of his wife, lapses of time and encountering of new people in his life, all because he crossed paths with one crazy dirtbag, who’s father was worse than he was, were mere circumstances that drove the story forward. It was like being caught in a dream at times, except, along with Thomas Ford, you want to wake up from the nightmare, so you keep turning pages, making every attempt to do just that.

If I didn’t have so many books to read, I’d more than likely read this one again. It’s that good, although I did run into a couple of typos, and I know there’s parts of it where I didn’t get the full gist of what was happening. So yes, I recommend this book to you and hope you’ll pick up a copy and read it for yourself. If you do, I’d love for you to come back to this post and share your views on it, comparing them with mine. If you don’t want to do that, feel free to send me an email and let me know what you think. I’d be more than a little excited to compare notes with you on this one.

May all your nightmares be safe, with no monsters hiding under the bed,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved