Tuesday, November 17, 2015

App Review: All Newspapers of the USA

by M. J. Joachim



On the surface, this app seems to be based on a really cool idea, providing every newspaper available in the United States for free to those who download it. Opening the front page of the app, I was impressed. Digging a little deeper, I was completely bombarded by ads, and I’m referring to the kind you can’t turn off without exiting the app. Then I decided to view one particular newspaper I can’t view online, because they block content unless you buy this local paper, though you can watch their local channel and see most of what they’re talking about in the paper anyway. The lines were blocked out, because you need a subscription to purchase the paper, even though you’re bombarded by ads in the app.

I clicked around as much as I could, but spending 30 seconds watching ads, every time I attempted to switch screens and browse, was more than a little too much. There has to be a better way, and since I’ve discovered quite a few quality news apps lately, many that don’t inundate the user with inescapable ads, I’m more than content to use those. This one is hitting the round file on my device, and unless you have a lot of time on your hands to browse these papers, I don’t recommend adding it to yours.

News happens every day. It’s free if you know where to look, and it’s easy enough to find quickly, if you don’t have time to watch a bunch of ads. Here’s hoping you personally have a slow news day, and that all your news is good news.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved