Monday, October 26, 2015

Movie Review: Alexander (Theatrical Cut)

by M. J. Joachim


I started reading this less than stellar book prior to turning on this less than stellar movie. What is it about Alexander the Great that writers and producers neglect to tell his story in a fitting and appropriate manner? I ended up watching the movie and finishing the book simultaneously. You know it must be bad when you can spend three hours watching a movie and reading a book at the same time, right?

Okay, so it was a star studded cast. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, stars don’t mean anything if they don’t deliver the goods. Angelina Jolie was almost over the top, and somehow didn’t quite fit in with the rest of the characters. Admittedly, she was a villain, but where she overacted her part, so many others failed to meet their marks at all, leaving an odd quandary of extremes in an historically fictional movie that might have intrigued me and left me completely satisfied otherwise.

Knowing the story of Alexander the Great probably wasn’t a bonus for me in this instance. The perspective was all wrong, and I found myself completely bored early on. Naturally there were battles and war in this film, even a few sex scenes and innuendos, but what is any of it without substance and good acting to make it essential to the movie?

Not to be too overly harsh, it’s an okay movie, but nothing I’d venture to watch again or tell my family and friends about. I wouldn’t say it’s a total flop, but given the chance, I definitely would have found something better to watch, and opted not to watch it at all. I guess that is pretty harsh, but seriously, this film didn’t do Alexander the Great any justice, and it certainly could have been done much more effectively.

I’ll be back soon with that book review. It’s a Christmas one, Bah-humbug - that’s actually a hint at the title. I love Christmas!

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved