Sunday, October 11, 2015

Book Review: The Witch’s Big Night by Sally Huss

by M. J. Joachim



A Halloween tale based loosely on the theme and rhythm of The Night Before Christmas, The Witch’s Big Night is a cute enough story for young children. Transitions in it were a little tough in some spots, and the last half of the story sort of lost its flare in some ways. I get that the author was trying to keep it nice, but I think it would have been a lot better if she kept the theme consistent, and the witch got a little bit of what was coming to her. 

As it was, the ending was rather flat. Had the ending been more in line with the rest of the story, I think kids would be giggling out loud and having a grand old time reading this story again and again. None-the-less, this is a cute story. Sally Huss wrote it and illustrated it, and her pictures are adorable. She’s quite a talented book publisher, and I hope some of you might look her up if you ever need pictures for your own children’s books.

Anyway, I liked it well enough and think it is most appropriate for younger children.

I hope you’re all having a lovely Sunday. Cards won, so I’m happy as can be!

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved