Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Book Review: I Love to Eat Fruits and Vegetables by Shelley Admont

by M. J. Joachim


Getting kids to eat fruits and veggies often tends to be a bit of a challenge sometimes. They go through phases like the rest of us, preferring certain less healthy foods over the good stuff, or simply being picky for one reason or another. I Love to Eat Fruits and Vegetables certainly tackles this concern, and it is enjoyable enough to read.

Something was lost in transition, however. The story went from a mischievous bunny, to a bunny that shrunk in size, and I’m not sure exactly how or why it happened. I get that the bunny wanted to reach the candy. I get that he got very creative in his efforts to do so, and I get that his creativity landed with a bang. What I don’t get is how that bang managed to shrink him.

I like the premise of this book, and I think kids will get a kick out of Jimmy, the mischievous bunny. They probably won’t even notice that he shrunk for no reason, ultimately causing him to eat his fruits and veggies so he could grow big and strong. As a writer and reviewer, however, I did notice the less than stellar transition, and I was confused and bothered by it.

This is a cute story, and the illustrations are lovely. The story itself is okay, and the premise of getting kids to eat healthier is dynamite. Anything we can do, right?

I hope this post finds you and yours well,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved