Thursday, October 1, 2015

Book Review by M. J. Joachim: September Sky by John Heldt

Historically speaking, September Sky was an interesting tale about the hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900. As time travelers go, the characters were interesting enough, and the story was definitely engaging, in a soap opera sort of way. 

My biggest problem with the book is that it was a little bit choppy, like the waves that must have crashed into Galveston during the hurricane. Short, curt sentences interrupted the natural flow I fully expected would be there. Redundant uses of first names of the characters, when pronouns would easily have made things a lot smoother and easier to read.

None of this took away from the story, however. It just got to be a little bit annoying after a while, making it easy to put the book down whenever I needed to. I’d sit for different stretches of time, fully intending to read at a good pace and get my book review finished in a timely manner. Not so timely, as I let quite a few things prevent me from reading, because it was easier to read in short stretches and I really could put it down without difficulty.

Overall, I liked this story quite a lot, in part because I learned a bit of history I never knew before. The transition from 2016 to 1900 was remarkable too, and gave me quite a bit to think about. Life certainly has changed; there’s nothing like a good time travel book to make one sit up and notice.

September Sky is a decent book for the casual reader, if you want to give it a try. I wasn’t over the moon about it, but then again, I might be a little pickier than the average reader too.

Happy reading and writing everyone,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved