Friday, October 16, 2015

Book Review: Alexander the Great…by Sean Patrick

by M. J. Joachim


Taken a little aback by the overall premise of the book, I was a little bit unengaged in the story. Expecting to read an historical account on Alexander the Great, the interruptions into the mind and thinking of his greatness, and how we could be great like him too, were completely unexpected and bothersome. That said, I enjoyed the history in the story, though it read rather dryly. I’m familiar with the biography already, and it seemed a regurgitation of the same old thing, with the added interruptions I mentioned a moment ago.

None-the-less, I applaud Sean Patrick for creativity. It takes guts to think and act outside the box, and his exploration into the greatness of those who have gone before us, and attempt to teach us lessons about their personality that we might incorporate into our own lives to be more successful, is interesting. An historical self-help book - who would have thought? I guess he did, because he’s written more than one title with this concept in mind. You go, Sean. Wishing you every success on your journey!

If you like history or need a bit of encouragement to keep moving forward, this book might be for you. Personally, I could take it or leave it, but that’s because I’d prefer one or the other in separate books, not both with such an analytical slant. Plus the title really is misleading, since I was expecting nothing more than a biography.

Best of Friday to you,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved