Thursday, October 15, 2015

Book Review: 30 Gluten Free Meals by Pamela Kazmierczak

by M. J. Joachim


As someone with Celiac Disease, this book is not only misinformed, but it could be downright dangerous. A little knowledge does not go a long way in the kitchen for those of us who need to avoid gluten like the plague in our diets. Clearly, the author likes to cook and thought she was being helpful. Perhaps she is for those on a fad gluten free diet. But for people like me, who get severely ill when exposed to gluten, this book is not helpful at all.

There are some decent sounding recipes in it. Don’t get me wrong. I like meat and potatoes as much as anyone. However, the reality is, I’m not into having nearly as many sandwiches and pasta since my diagnosis. Nor do I enjoy the notion of searching for gluten free products to make my meals. Granted, there are lots of GF items readily available today compared to a few years ago, but some of them are downright nasty. This book does nothing to help me choose the best GF pasta to make the recipes listed. Regarding the sandwiches, all it says it to buy GF bread. Easier said than done, and the author should have done her research to find this out. Incidentally, I’ve yet to find GF lasagne noodles, so unless I’m making my own, the lasagne recipe won’t be made at all.

Suffice to say, I’m not impressed and sorely disappointed. Gluten free eating is not as hard as it sounds, but with books like this on the market, it’s a lot harder than it needs to be. Don’t buy this book, especially if you don’t have a choice about being gluten free.

Here’s to healthy eating everyone,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved