Monday, October 19, 2015

App Review: Words with Friends

by M. J. Joachim


Thanks to my daughter who helped me install the app, and now my son who is determined to beat me, I’m definitely hooked on Words with Friends. At first I didn’t like all the ads, but once I got hooked, and not to brag, but I am currently in first place on the daily leaderboard this morning, I can understand why they have so many. It’s a good game, and if you can get away with that much advertising, I say, “Go for it!”

As the Scrabble champion in my house, so much so that the rest of the family really has to be in the mood to play with me, Words with Friends offers a unique challenge that doesn’t take hours of time, unless you’re hooked like me and keep checking your phone every time you have a moment to breathe. You only play with two players at a time, so it’s a bit like ping pong in that respect. You play a word, and wait for your opponent to play one back. It’s also a bit like texting, because you send your word and wait until you see it’s your turn to play.

I’m currently playing several games at once, and when I woke up this morning, several people had played overnight. I took my time, had some coffee, hugged my granddaughter and mulled over the opportunities and various words to play on each board. It’s engaging, exciting and loads of fun. Plus, it truly helps build my vocabulary and encourages me to think about and use different words, which I can’t help but think will help me with my writing.

So there you have it, a challenging, engaging, entertaining, educational app that will keep you on your toes and is so much fun to play.

May the best wordsmith win!

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved