Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Book Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

by M. J. Joachim


Character development is the primary focus of Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. Divergent, the first book, laid forth the groundwork, set the scene and introduced the characters, both living and deceased, introducing a sort of history, if you will, of direction, prophecy, dialog and intrigue for all concerned.

Insurgent further explores the characters, exposing how they handle grief, failure and hope for the future. It provides an in-depth view of how each character interacts with each other, and why, based on introductions to such things in the first book of the series. Readers will easily relate to being haunted by the past and those who have gone before us, as well as how we deal with our memories - both pleasant and not-so-pleasant, which guide us into our dreams for the future and how we hope to see it unfold.

So far this series has left me completely satisfied, both as a reader and a writer. It is a worthwhile study of how to meld characters and transition from one book to another, without leaving the audience shaking their heads or feeling like let down from the less than stellar ending that may or may not get readers picking up the next book in the series. I’m already reading Allegiant and look forward to reading Four, the last two books in this series.

On a more personal note, I want to thank all of you who are patiently sending books for me to review. The pile continues to grow, and I’m forging my way through it as much as time allows. Currently, I’m in transition, getting used to a new schedule which includes a variety of activities away from the computer. As a normal routine develops from this, I anticipate a much more regular blogging schedule to follow in turn. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

All my best to you,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: US Copyright Fair Use Law