Friday, April 3, 2015

Book Review: Alexander the Great, The Macedonian who Conquered the World by Sean Patrick

by M. J. Joachim


It’s an interesting concept to combine the biography of a famous conqueror with psychology and personal philosophy, in an attempt to teach people how to become geniuses and great in their own right. I enjoy reading historical novels and books, and the title is what caused me to read this one, which is why I never expected to begin reading about how to become a genius in the very first chapter.

It took quite a while for Patrick to get to the story of Alexander the Great in this book. It’s the same story I’m familiar with, nothing spectacular in the writing, simply an interesting story about the many wars Alexander fought, complete with victories, defeats and journeys into foreign lands. The story was shared in the center of the book, flanked on either side by personal philosophy and verbiage.

Patrick makes some valid points, but I simply can’t get away from the fact that I wanted and planned to read a book about Alexander the Great, not a personal encouragement and reprimand on how I could become great, why I haven’t already become great, what stops me from being great and how I can defeat the resistance to my becoming great. I didn’t plan on reading a self-help book, and some of the self-help in this book wasn’t helpful at all. A lot of it was the same ol’, same ol’. We’ve heard it all before, because anyone seeking to be a self-help guru repeatedly says it much more than necessary, hoping to get us to follow them, read all their books, take all their advice and become their biggest fan promoting their personal agenda.

If you are looking to read historical fiction on Alexander the Great, this is not the book for you. It is a thinly veiled misrepresented book, because the title says nothing about it being a self-help book, loosely compared with some well-known historical facts and data about Alexander the Great. I believe in truth in marketing. The title of this book is misleading and the premise of this book is unreliable.

Thanks so much for visiting Writing Tips today. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Alexander the Great, Istanbul Archaeology Museum, Public Domain