Thursday, April 2, 2015

Book Review: The 7 Most Powerful Prayers That Will Change Your Life Forever, by Adam Houge

by M. J. Joachim


I’m a little torn as I write this review. It’s hard to address some of the negatives in a book about prayer. As someone with a whole lot of faith, I found this book a little hard to swallow in parts. Houge is very much entitled to his opinion, but when he said our opinions don’t count, because God’s is the only opinion that matters, I was a little taken aback.

Houge is a preacher, and this book is very preachy. There are times when I felt like Houge was yelling at me, telling me how horrible I am and demanding me to fix myself by giving my life to God. The guilt trips about my disobedience, lack of faith and willingness to go to hell were horrible.

As much as I know this wasn’t Houge’s intent or purpose for the book, his message came across very negatively at times. “God loves me but…” My response is, “God loves me and…” There are no buts about it. God loves me.

A couple of other things bothered me about this book. The prayers were quotes from the Bible, not actual prayers. They were followed by prayers Houge said with us, and these were followed by Houge’s opinion of God’s response to what preceded them. So Houge’s opinion is okay, but mine is sin. (Yes, he really did call our opinions sin in the book, and disobedience to God’s voice too.)

I can’t faithfully or otherwise recommend this book to anyone. Too many people are hurting, and some of the things in this book might only hurt them more. God is love. I don’t think He wants preachers to put the fear of God in us. I think He wants us to be open to His love and love Him in return. In doing so, there’ll be nothing to fear at all.

With thoughts of Good Friday tomorrow and wishing you all a very Happy Easter this weekend. Whether you celebrate it or not, I hope your weekend is grand!

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: CCO-Public Domain