Thursday, March 26, 2015

Movie Review: Divergent

by M. J. Joachim


Truly, I had to separate the book from the movie for this one. Without doing that, I’m afraid the comparisons might have driven me crazy. As with all books turned into movies, the book was much better, probably because my own visualization and imagination made it so.

Taken strictly as a movie, Divergent was good. I can understand why they made some of the changes from the book, which ultimately made the movie better in some places. That said, I’m not sure why they omitted some of the details in the book that I found to be real page turners.

However, I get it, and Divergent the movie stands alone. Anyone who hasn’t read the book can see the movie and not feel like they entered in the middle of some conversation where they can’t quite figure out what’s going on. The screenplay is well written and the book was comfortably adapted to the big screen.

I’m glad the movie didn’t drag on and on. Writers kept it fast paced, with lively action scenes to keep viewers interested. They didn’t try to copy the book word for word, scene for scene, which is definitely a plus. Looking back on it, I don’t know how they would have done so anyway, so I’m glad they took creative license this way.

Now that I’ve read the book and seen the movie, I like the book better. If I had just read the book or seen the movie, there’d be no cause to complain. If you’re wondering what all the excitement is about, check out one or both and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Just remember, the movie is purposely different from the book, so it’s best to avoid comparing the two.

Thanks so much for visiting Writing Tips today. I’d love to read your thoughts on Divergent, either the movie, book or both in the comments.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Willis Tower, enwiki, No rights claimed or reserved