Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Ebooks vs. Blog Posts - Choosing the Best Publishing Platform

by M. J. Joachim


Lots of Crochet Stitches hit one million page views earlier this month, or maybe in the last few days of February. I was so busy with two kids moving in and out of here, that everything sort of blurred together, and one day I looked only to find that there were over a million page views on my blog. Late last year I was writing teasers on this blog about the new book I was writing, the one I hoped to publish before the end of last year.

It’s a crochet tutorial book, thus no characters, except now that Lots of Crochet Stitches has so many page views, I’m a little bit torn. I’d plan to make several theme oriented crochet books for my followers. Now, with the first one still unfinished, I’m more inclined to put my original patterns on my blog, skip the book intro, background, stitch guide, cover etc., most of which I haven’t even written yet. I do have several original patterns that have been tested, so my inclination is to thank my viewers by putting each of these on my blog instead.

When is a book not really a book, but multiple blog posts that will be just as pleasing, if not more so to one’s audience? That’s the big question I’m asking myself, and at this junction I’m leaning toward putting it out there, knowing I have some amazing blog followers who truly enjoy and appreciate my posts. It’s true, they’d probably enjoy my crochet books too, but I’m not sure I see the point of venturing into something new with my crochet work anymore. It’s working very well, so I’m not sure it’s necessary to mess with a good thing.

Any thoughts on this? Have you ever started writing a book you turned into blog posts? Have you ever had second thoughts and weighed the pros and cons of changing direction midstream? How did it turn out for you? Was it worth it when all was said and done, or do you have regrets about your decision?

I’m so glad you stopped by to visit Writing Tips today,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo Credit: GNU Free Documentation License; crochet in round shape, flora