Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

by M. J. Joachim


We may be late to the party, but my daughters and I are hooked now. Divergent is positively hard to put down and quite the page turner indeed! Psychologically and philosophically speaking, my thoughts went to some dark places, wondering if things like this could really happen several decades from now. The world as we know it divided and conquered, while politics remain status quo.

Okay, so I’m reaching a little. But seriously, this book made me think and brought out my very outside the box creative side when doing so. We see things like this on a smaller scale all the time. Organization at its best, only in Divergent, people are the organizers, not the organized, and they did it to themselves willingly and without protest.

Ah the mind games it plays on individuals in the story! Prejudice didn’t disappear; it became worse in many instances because power and control are such necessary survival skills.

Oh, and the story has the most vile villain, the strangest heroes - if you can still call them that after reading the last chapter. The ending was full, ripe and complete, yet still lending toward curiosity for the next book in the series. We already own it and yes, it’s on the must read list for my daughters and me.

Thanks so much for visiting Writing Tips today,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: CTA Loop Junction, GNU Free Documentation License