Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Book Review: Alphabet Anatomy Series by Linda Ann Jones

by M. J. Joachim


This series was a little bit lost on me. Rather than write three less than stellar reviews, I’m just going to write one explaining some of the things that didn’t quite work for me in this series, partly because I taught early childhood education for many, many years, and partly because with so many alphabet books to choose from, if I were browsing in a store or online, these wouldn’t have made it into my basket.

I get the concept and I applaud any group of people working to teach young children, however they decide to do it. Unfortunately, there was a lack of cohesiveness in many of the rhymes for me. Some of the language was way too advanced for any child trying to learn the alphabet and even though the books were bright, cheery and beautifully illustrated, the story itself didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. In some instances, the pictures of the letters were puzzling as well.

Creativity and imagination are positive and wonderful things. So is simplicity, especially when the goal is to teach young children about the alphabet. This series overreached in my opinion, and the result is confusion. Alphabet books intending to teach young children the alphabet should make a point to have all the letters look like they are supposed to. Rhymes about the alphabet should make sense, not leave adults scratching their heads wondering how the author came up with them. The whole thing simply didn’t seem that well planned or thought out. Consequently, it won’t get a thumbs up from me.

Thanks so much for visiting Writing Tips today,

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Alphabet, PD-US