Sunday, February 1, 2015

Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

by M. J. Joachim

Walking out of the theater last winter, I heard someone on their cell phone excitedly sharing their experience of having just seen Gone Girl. My husband and I went to a different movie, but I remember him saying, “It was absolutely as good as the book! You simply have to see this film!” Lots of people were talking about this movie that way, and I said to my husband, “If it’s that good, I think I’ll read the book first and then see the movie.” I received the book for Christmas and quite frankly couldn’t put it down.

Gone Girl is a true page turner, filled with suspense, drama and lots of twists and turns. I was eager to see everyone get their due as the story drew to a close. I’m more eager than ever to watch the film with my daughter - she’s also reading the book at present.

I liked this book, but the ending bothered me. It wasn’t what I expected, wanted or thought should happen. If you’ve read Gone Girl, please tell me if you think I’m way off base about this…without giving it away for those who haven’t read it. I’ve held off writing this review for a while now, because I thought time might make the ending settle a bit more for me. It didn’t. I still don’t like the ending, and I know I never will.

None-the-less, Gone Girl is a really good book, and I’m sure I’ll be back to talk about the movie when I see it.

Thanks so much for stopping by today. It’s always a pleasure to visit with you when you do.

M. J.

©2015 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Gone Girl Premiere at the 52nd New York Film Festival, October 2014, aphrodite-in-nyc, cc-by-2.0 License