Monday, December 1, 2014

Notes, News and More

by M. J. Joachim

I’m being a bit random today, after taking my brother to the airport only a few hours ago. It was a simply mauvelous Thanksgiving here at my home. Gotta love it - computer thinks I wanted to spell “marvelous” which I did, but with a twist as I thought of Billy Crystal, so I backspaced and typed it the way I wanted it to sound. People do that all the time. It’s how we came up with an entirely new vocabulary for texting each other. I still won’t use half of the shortcuts, texting shorthand as it were. They make me noivous. That one came from a commercial I’ve heard way too often.



In the News

The Internet will be taken over by millions of Santa’s Helpers later this week, as they write, promote and share all things related to feeding the hungry in the 2nd Annual Holiday Food Drive this year, planned for December 4 - 6. You can be part of these wonderful festivities by sharing links, writing posts and volunteering at your local food banks. Click through here for all the details and more information on this Internet Invasion which plans to highlight hunger around the globe and raise awareness on all fronts about this important societal issue.

On the Blogging Front

There is no right or wrong way to write a blog post. Blogs are as unique as the individuals creating them. Trial and error is the best way to find out what works for you and your penny jar, that is assuming you have ads or some other way to make money from your blog.

As the keeper of several blogs, I can attest to a few things about blogs for certain. Content is king. Getting it out there is a must. Responding to those who notice it is right and polite. Pictures make it “pin”able, which also make it more likely to be shared and passed around, consequently increasing page views. Meeting new bloggers and commenting on lots of blogs is a great way to make friends and increase your page views.

Venturing Out in the Community

Effectively Human invites you to join our Google+ Community. It’s as easy as clicking the join button, so I hope to see you there.

Christmas is right around the corner. Today is Cyber Monday, the other day was Black Friday, last Saturday was Small Business Saturday here in the United States, and the holidays are officially in full swing - only 23 more days until Christmas. Holiday lights are brightening our streets, Christmas music is playing in stores and on the radio and decorations abound, along with decadent treats, parties and treasures waiting under the tree.

I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted just thinking about it, and I live in a relatively warm climate where I don’t have to fight the snow and ice to get it all done. On that note, I give you this original Christmas poem.

Christmas Shopping Poem

Stay safe and warm, away from harm
Don’t let the cold winds bite
Tis the season to be jolly
Not weary or full of fright

Don’t drink and drive, to stay alive
Enjoy sweet treats instead
It’s best to be more conscious
When you lay snug in your bed

Check the sales to avoid the wails
Of paying more than you should
This way everyone on your list
Will believe they’ve been too good

Good brings a smile all the while
Being positive fills us with glee
The perfect way we want to feel
After our shopping spree!

Happy Holidays Everyone! Hope to see you again real soon!

M. J. 

©2014 All Rights Reserved  Photo credits:  Holiday Food Drive, Jeremy Hawkins; serial the Spellbinder, GNU Free Documentation License; Christmas at the Mall, lamraincrystal, CCA- Share Alike 3.0 Unported License