Thursday, November 20, 2014

To Schedule or Not to Schedule?

by M. J. Joachim

To schedule or not to schedule blog posts? That is the question I ask of thee. 



In a perfect world, they’d all be scheduled way in advance. Those books we promised to review would not be sitting in a stack, as we slowly finish reading one at a time. Those posts that flurry into our minds would be written perfectly every time, without the added insult of forgetting half the words before we put a towel around ourselves after taking a shower. What? Doesn’t everyone’s brain explode with new and exciting ideas when they’re relaxing & scrubbing in the shower? Surely I’m not the only one.



Yes, in a perfect world, everything would be…
Well, um…
Perfect!


But this is not a perfect world, and I know far too many bloggers who feel hurried and frustrated with the lack of perfection they feel torments their blogs, and the time they have to devote to them. It’s written about all the time, mentioned in comments when they are praising other bloggers they perceive are better than themselves, and felt by so many of us who do what we can and leave it at that.

I don’t schedule blog posts. I sometimes write a few of them in one day, because nothing else seems too pressing that day, or because they simply need to be written before my brain explodes from all those thoughts merging at once to get through.

I hate smart computers that fix so many words I’m typing fast, btw. Admittedly it looks like I’m dyslexic when I’m typing this fast, but I do my proofreading diligently and with "with" being spelled like wight or some other word changing itself to beth - like I’d be able to figure out the same typo I make almost every time when that happens, it's just frustrating. I know my typos, so it’s very easy to fix them when I proofread, without having my own too smart for me computer doing it for me, leading to utter confusion when it’s time to start my editing process!

Back to what I was saying now…

I draft my post in a text document. I don’t schedule them. Then I draft them in the blog. I still don’t schedule them. Then I publish them when I’m ready. So yes, I pre-write quite a few posts, but I don’t actually schedule many or any of them. I tried that, but they aren’t as easy to circulate that way. I’d rather publish them when I want, and spread the word about them via social networking at the same time.

That’s what works best for me. What works best for you?

As always, please comment, share and email me with your thoughts on this. I’m eager to hear from you and appreciate it more than you know!


Oh, and before you go, check out this guest post I wrote for Pat's other blog. Can you solve the mystery I pose there? Or at least share your thoughts and ideas about it?

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Wikimania 2007 Schedule, Kat Walsh, GNU Free Documentation License