Thursday, November 13, 2014

Real Writers Just Do It!

by M. J. Joachim

It’s been quite a whirlwind today! First we overslept which prompted my husband to work from home. I still cleaned the bathrooms, something I’ve been trying to get to for two days now. Sometimes you need to make things happen, because in the case of the bathrooms today, you’d be too grossed out if they didn’t. 

A normally quiet and boring day (save for the dogs), suddenly turned into an energetic, buzzing atmosphere because even the kids’ schedules allowed for extra activity on the home front. Amidst the noise of computer games, blaring music and action adventure movies playing in the background, I steadily worked on one solitary article, a piece that took so much longer than I expected.

The microwave interrupted my Internet signal as it always does, so right when I was about to post, all things stopped on my computer. Don’t even ask me how my posting happened. I never had so much trouble formatting blogger in my life! Meanwhile, I was exchanging emails with a fellow blogger friend trying to solve the mystery of not being able to send him some promised information. 

When the Internet wouldn’t work, I tried to work on a crochet stitch for that blog. Of all the days to be all thumbs, I ended up all tangled up in knots - twice. I’m determined to succeed and make a crochet post today, so we’ll see how it goes.

Then my loving and supportive husband asked me how work on my books is going. I guess he thought I’d been working on them all day. “Oh my gosh! I haven’t even started working on those yet today, and I’m so close to finishing the one for proofreading too!” 

The more I wound up, because I wasn’t really stressed, just a little rattled, the less the words (or stitches, as is the case with my crochet) would come. They still haven’t come, which is why I’m taking time to use this post as an example. 

If you expect me to explain what I mean by that, reread the last sentence of the last paragraph, beginning with “They still haven’t come.” I’m looking at the word example and trying to finalize my unfinished thought and statement. It escapes me. 

Writing tip for the day…

Just write it already! Persevere and make something happen. If you want to be a writer, if you want to put your words out there for everyone to read, write, publish and write some more. You are the only stumbling block in your way if you don’t. You can be your biggest and best writing advocate in the world, or you can be the one who sabotages it all. Write when the words are readily there and write when the words won’t come. Write when the house is quiet and write when it's ablaze with family activities. That’s how you fulfill your dream of being a writer!

Here’s to lots of noisy keyboards!

Best to all,

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Annaviis, Kiidos, GNU Free Documentation License