Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reviewing My Review Process

by M. J. Joachim


I have a lot of fun writing reviews. For me, it’s a creative outlet, a blank canvas waiting to be explored. Much like a good food critic - good food critics don’t give you a list of ingredients and tell you how a dish is made. They savor every last morsel, devouring the entire meal placed pleasingly before them.

So it is with my book reviews. Presentation matters. The appetizer (or request) should never overwhelm or fill me up, especially to the point that I don’t want to bother with the main course (or book). Dessert is a simple “Thank you,” letting me know that you’ve actually read your full review.

It’s okay if you don’t agree with everything I said. I try to write fully balanced reviews, sharing pros and cons as much as possible, so others can make fully educated decisions about whether or not they’d like to purchase what I read (or saw, in the case of movie reviews).

I don’t write reviews to help boost or hurt sales. As a writer myself, I understand how difficult and time consuming it is to write and publish anything. Putting oneself and one’s work out there especially in this brilliant age of technology, takes guts in a market as saturated as ours. This is why I truly take time when reading and writing reviews, because as the author, you deserve nothing less from me. We’re a team working together in the vast world of publishing, and together we truly can reach a much wider audience and share our work in turn.

Thanks for visiting Writing Tips today. Your support means a lot to me. From one starving artist to another, here’s to taking one more step forward!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: M. J. Joachim, Mobi book, ©2014 All Rights Reserved