Monday, October 13, 2014

Book Review: The Zombie Cowboy Two-Step by Jeanette Raleigh

by M. J. Joachim


There’s something about a good western that almost always piques my interest. Just when you think it can’t get any better, you find yourself swept up in a fantasy world, where zombies come to life, drama unfolding with each passing stage coach on the dusty old road. Battles between good and evil, with guns a blazing, horses racing and saloons gone wild.

Entertaining, exciting and loooong…

I truly enjoyed reading The Zombie Cowboy Two-Step (Wow, that's a mouthful, isn't it?), and really got into the fictional fantasy world and characters. Raleigh writes an amazing story, detailed to perfection, a fictional fantasy. Oh, wait, I said that already, didn’t I? Perhaps because that’s where I wanted and needed the story to end multiple times. It wasn’t real, and I wasn’t prepared to gain a deep seeded, heart wrenching message, attempting me to take stock of my soul. I just wanted to enjoy a good story - about cowboys and zombies, not making my way to heaven or hell, regardless of the subtlety Raleigh used when trying to include the message.

Which is why this story could have ended so much sooner. There were many natural endings in The Zombie Cowboy Two-Step that would have left me perfectly satisfied and content. It’s like looking at a painting that’s completely over-painted. Something isn’t quite right, and you know it’s because there’s just too much there.

Forty-four chapters, easy enough to read through, not really time consuming at all - unless taken as a whole in a book that should have remained about zombies attacking a western town, without delving into the psyche and taking away from the fictional fantasy. Raleigh is a very good story-teller. There’s no disputing that fact in this review. There were simply too many messages detailed and expressed in this particular story that I would have preferred focused on cowboys and zombies, without all the guilt trip about making good decisions and saving my soul.

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read this review.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved No part of this review may be copied. However, links to this post are greatly appreciated.

Photo credit: Zombie, JNL, Free Art License