Monday, October 20, 2014

Book Review: What to Eat in Restaurants Gluten Free Phoenix/Scottsdale Arizona Edition

by M. J. Joachim

Limited though this book was, I found there were some wonderful new restaurants I’d like to visit for eating gluten free, if I feel like driving across the valley. Author T. K. Kenyon compiled a nice selection of choices, and her organization is easy enough to follow. However, I wish she had included restaurants in the broader Phoenix area, instead of only those in Phoenix, Scottsdale and near ASU. 

It seems she missed the east valley entirely, which has some of the best gluten free pizza I’ve ever eaten. I’m referring to Red, White and Brew, which can make any of their pizzas gluten free. Their salads are also gluten free, complete with dressings of choice. They also have a few gluten free desserts to try.

Barros locations throughout the valley also have gluten free pizza, wings and salad including dressing choices. Yes, you can have wings with ranch and blue cheese dressing here. Their wings are so good too!

I’ve heard Vito’s also has an extensive gluten free menu full of pasta and pizza dishes too, though I haven’t stopped in yet. It’s on my list, because I have to see if their gluten free pizza is better than Red, White and Brew’s. Not to mention, they've won awards for some of their gluten free dishes.

Do you feel like having Mexican food? Try Macayos. They have an extensive gluten free menu and the food is delicious. And don’t forget Chili’s for some southwestern food.

Okay, so I’m getting carried away because it’s not always easy eating out when you’re gluten free, which is why I wish this book was more comprehensive and all inclusive. Would I recommend it for people who need to eat gluten free? Yes, because we need all the resources we can get. Would I recommend it if the market had lots of these types of books and resources readily available? hmmm, I’d have to give that one a bit more thought, depending on what was out there.

I hope this review was helpful to you, especially if you’re gluten free. What to Eat in Restaurants Gluten Free Phoenix/Scottsdale…is a portion of a larger book, What to Eat in Restaurants Gluten Free. I won’t be getting that one, because as much as this one gave me a few new restaurants to try, I’d rather do my research, make my calls and discover new restaurants as I need to. Part of the reason for this is because I don’t want to be limited to only the restaurants listed in the book. As you can see, I’ve discovered a few more on my own, before I ever started reading it.

Thanks for visiting Writing Tips today. It’s always good to see you here.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: Gluten Free Beer, Parcher, Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike 3.0 (I don’t know if it tastes good or not, but it looks like something for beer drinkers to try.)