Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Book Review: On Mother’s Lap by Ann Herbert Scott

by M. J. Joachim

As I was cleaning and moving book shelves around the other day, I came across a few old stories I used to always read to my kids when they were little. Now that I’m a grandma, I guess I’ll have to read them to my grandchildren too. These are books to be cherished and passed down for generations; one of them is On Mother’s Lap.

Affirming a mother’s open arms and unending love, Scott introduces us to a Native American family doing what all families seem to do. Young ones sleep, while older siblings need to be quietly entertained. But the older siblings are full of energy, and they need affirmation from mother as much as the little ones do.

As an adult reads this story, children will be focused on the detailed and delightful pictures illustrated by Glo Coalson. Beautiful care was taken to make this book a pleasure for everyone. One of the reasons I bought this book so many years ago is because it clearly shows that families are families, and even though we may look a little different, or decorate our homes differently, or eat different foods, we all have a lot in common too.

On Mother’s Lap truly is a wonderful book, with a subtle and very valuable message too.

Thanks for stopping by and visiting Writing Tips today. I really appreciate it when you visit here.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved Photo credit: The Mother, Anchise Picchi (1911 - 2007), Public Domain