Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Book Review: Cerulean Rising: Beginnings by Justin Sewall

by M. J. Joachim

Packed with action and adventure, this space-age, science fiction novel is fast-paced and extremely entertaining. Mixing present day references for stability, Cerulean Rising: Beginnings takes readers to a war among the stars where various alien creatures, both friend and foe alike, battle with and among the humans fighting for survival of the fittest. 

Sewall engages us with highly detailed imagery which bring the story to life. A bit of a teenage love story intrigues us, while true to life circumstances assist with our need to connect with each character. Readers get to know these people (and creatures), taking sides and cheering on their favorites.

There were a couple of minor drawbacks, however. The editing of chapters 8 & 9 were a huge distraction because they were clearly copied and pasted from whatever Word program Sewall was using to make his final touches. The editing itself was fine, and the story overall was very well-written and proofed prior to publication. It was simply the white lines of copied text on my tan background that bugged me.

The other thing that bothered me was the cliff hanger at the end. When I finish reading a book, I don’t want to stay tuned for a sequel to see what happens to its characters. I prefer to be left on a solid note, where all scenes and story lines are finished in their entirety. Then, if I want and choose to pick up the sequel or consecutive books in the series, I’m free to do so, without feeling like it’s mandatory to find out what happened to the characters I’ve come to know and follow. I’m fine with characters picking up where they left off. I just don’t want them to be in the middle of something, like a t.v. series finale, where you have to wait for the next season to start. Books aren’t television series and they lose something when treated as such, in my opinion.

On that note, I probably will pick up the sequel to Cerulean Rising, because the book is highly entertaining and well-written. On that note, I wouldn’t let the cliff ending scare you off at all.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on this book review,

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved No part of this review may be copied. However, links to this post are greatly appreciated.

Photo credit: Kosmos, Ben Pirard, GNU Free Documentation License