Saturday, April 19, 2014

Poetry Analysis: Quiet Waters by Blanch Shoemaker Wagstaff

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 11/13/15




Our lives float on quiet waters…
Down softly flowing streams,
Where silvery willows
Shadow calm waves.
Gentle bird-songs
And murmuring freshets
Leap from the woodland


In snowy circlets.
Green embowers us,
And fragrant mosses,
Spicy odors
That drift in the languid
Swaying breezes…

Our lives float on quiet waters…
And my Love and I
Wonder at twilight,
When flaming banners
Spread in the heavens,
How long this Beauty -
This stately silence…
E’er once again we shall drift
On the turbulent, open sea.

Analysis

Picturing two lovers in a canoe was easy for me as I read this poem silently, and then aloud. Becoming entranced with this poem was practically unavoidable, as I toyed with my diction, tempo and tone, until I found myself staring up at the sky and figuratively drifting on the lake.

Sunsets have always intrigued me, whether they are vast and endless over the wide blue ocean, or ferociously fiery in the Arizona desert.

It was nature’s whisper that caught my attention in the first stanza - the excitement of the day beginning to settle down.

Transitions in this poem are subtle, yet intricately stimulating and vibrant - filled with detail, action and a certain futuristic fate. For night will come, and with its arrival, the silence of sunset will disappear.

Thank you for visiting and commenting on Writing Tips today.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved  Photo credit:  CCO Public Domain