Friday, April 18, 2014

Book Review: Public Relations for Authors by Babs Hightower

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 11/13/15


Public Relations for Authors, Take Hold of Your Own Promotions by Babs Hightower is one of the sloppiest books I’ve ever read. Considering this book is supposed to be written by a (self-proclaimed) Public Relations expert, I was shocked by the lack of editing and careless workmanship shown therein. 

The information shared is elementary enough that I wouldn’t waste my time or money reading it in this book, which seems to be nothing more than a self-promotional ploy, attempting to lure unsuspecting authors in with its appealing title. After reading this book, I certainly would never consider hiring Babs Hightower to work on my own PR campaign, if the writing in this book represents how she might run my promotions and campaign.

Much of the book appeared to be nothing more than notes she forgot to draft into clear and concise thoughts. There were punctuation and spelling errors too, something I don’t enjoy finding in published books, and certainly wouldn’t want sent out in any press releases.

Another oddity was her reference to using landlines instead of cell phones for radio interviews. Call me crazy, but I don’t know a whole lot of people who have landlines or house phones anymore. Needless to say, I strongly urge you to avoid purchasing this book, as a valid reference to help you publish and promote your own book. Sorry Babs, but when you represent yourself as a professional, you should at least do us the courtesy of editing your book.

Thank you for visiting and commenting on Writing Tips today. I’ll look forward to seeing you again soon.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved