Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Book Review: Middle Damned by Shane Stilson

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 11/13/15



Without hesitation, let me begin by saying, “I want to see this book made into a movie.” It was that good, showcasing special effects that lit up my mind, captured my imagination and increased my adrenalin, making my blood race in anticipation and excitement at times. Sci-fi, action/adventure, fantasy and whatever other genre this book might get categorized, it doesn’t matter. When such a page turner comes along, you’re caught up in the moment, and don’t want to put it down.

Transitions were a huge part of Middle Damned, moving from one spiritual plane to the next, contemplating past memories and tempting fates unknown. Stilson writes fluidly, drawing readers in from the very first paragraph, while weaving what seems to be almost two stories into one, the past with the present and future, making his written transitions read so easily.

Characters were stunning - oh, how I’d like to meet some of these creatures. Others, I’d just as soon pass. The balanced mix between aliens, demons, critters and people, as well as their interactions is quite simply remarkable. Stilson’s detailed descriptions of their appearance and actions make them come alive in the story. It was fascinating.

Middle Damned primarily takes place in the spiritual realm, or is it someone’s mind. I will never think about death, dying, comatose states, the unconscious mind and dreams the same way again. The images of hell and purgatory have definitely been defined in my mind, after reading this story. No spoiler alerts. You’ll simply have to pick up a copy and read it for yourself. It’s good and you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks for stopping by and chatting on Writing Tips today. Your visits always make me smile.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved