Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Book Review: That Sadie Thing and Other Stories by Annalisa Crawford

By M. J. Joachim
Update 11/20/15
As a big fan of short stories, I became immediately intrigued upon reading That Sadie Thing and Other Stories. Truth be told, I simply couldn’t put it down. Okay, so I’d read a story, do some other quick task and read another story, but that’s the beauty of short story collections. They make it easy to start and stop reading at will, quickly allowing us to peruse through them, all the while enjoying every morsel they have to offer.

From beginning to end, That Sadie Thing provided intense, thought-provoking stories. The first one is the best in my opinion, catching me with its twists, turns and completely unexpected ending. I sat upright, hairs standing up on the back of my neck and said, “Wow! Didn’t see that coming!” Later I told my son about it, he was also blown away by what I shared.

All of the stories are good, each different and unique in its own way. Many have won awards or been published in magazines. Crawford has a special way of weaving tales and delighting us with her imagination, wit and creativity. Except for a few typos, this book was a satisfying and joyful, if not dark and intense publication to read, making it a perfect fit for my Recommended Reading list.

There are stories about relationships, stalking, finding oneself, deviance and free spiritedness, each ripe with human emotion and burning with Crawford’s vibrant use of words. I thoroughly enjoyed each and every story in this book. If you like short stories, this is one collection you won’t want to pass up.

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved