Monday, January 13, 2014

Blogging Learning Curves in January

By M. J. Joachim


It’s been quite a ride, as I launched my first Linky Tools blog hop last week. Intentions are good. However, fine-tuning was a must. To that end, I created a separate page for my Weekly Bible Verse Reflection Blog Hop today. I’m hoping this will make it easier for people to jump in and participate. There’s lots of opportunity to get extra links to your blog if you do. If nothing else, think of it as an exercise in writing or a writing prompt.

While I was at it, I went ahead and added a Prayer Requests 2014 page to the same blog. I’ve been praying for my friend all weekend, and this just seemed like a no brainer. So if you need prayers, or know someone who does, please be sure to add your request in the comments there.

As many of you know, I discovered pasting from Word is a no-no in the blogger platform. I feel obligated to share this information as much as possible, since so many of my blogging glitches are slowly disappearing now. 

I’ve only partially edited four of my blogs, and the results have been well worth the effort. Not only am I showing up in people’s blog rolls again, but they are showing up in mine. I can’t tell you how many times I went to my dashboard, only to discover I wasn’t following any blogs. This glitch seems to be going by the wayside now, and I’m happily commenting on many blogs I’ve missed, since this whole disappearance act started, all thanks to pasting from Word in my blog.

The blog make over process seems to be coming along fairly well. I redesigned my Effectively Human blog yesterday, and while there’s still more to do there, am happy with the results so far. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

One thing to consider when fixing up your blog is width. I read a tip today about this. With all the different gadgets people use to read our blogs, it’s important not to make them too wide. Not everyone has a big screen anymore. In fact, many people read blogs in the palm of their hand.

Thanks for visiting and commenting on Writing Tips today. I’m currently working on another movie review, and am about halfway through with another book for my next book review. Stay tuned. You don’t want to miss these!

M. J.

©2014 All Rights Reserved

Photo credit: Jean Marc Cote, France in XXI Century, PD-US, PD-ART