Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Insecure Writers Support Group 120413

By M. J. Joachim

In a word or two, as authors, we are liked by our fans, those who visit us regularly, leave comments and promote our work via social media. We’ve made friends along the way, meeting more through various avenues – blog hops, book signings, Internet forums etc.

Many of us speak of writing as if it is the element of who we are, the very essence of our being. As much as I love my writing, I don’t want it to take over my life. I want it to be one more thing that fulfills my purpose for being, satisfies my need to communicate with the outside world and defines one aspect of who I am, key word being one.

Boundaries are important. Defining what is what, and how it plays in our world. If writing is my “job,” I don’t want to be a workaholic. If writing is my passion, I don’t want it to replace the passion in my marriage. If writing is my life, I refuse to forsake the children I’ve brought into the world and the family I’ve raised to make it even more so. 


Writing needs to be put into proper perspective, regardless of how or why we do it. It needs to be one aspect of who we are, not the sum total of what makes us who we hope to become. Certainly there are those who can pull it off, becoming recluses by choice, shutting out the world around them. For most of us, however, writing is only one aspect of our lives, determined to push its way into every other aspect. That’s okay, provided we know that writing isn’t the goal, if we lose everything else in the process. 

Boundaries and perspective – that’s what I want to share as food for thought in today’s Insecure Writers Support Group. Take stock and make valid decisions about what your writing means to you. Be honest with yourself and define your purpose and desire for writing, complete with pros, cons and everything in between. Then, and only then, determine your fate as a writer. Be the master of your destiny, defining how being a writer works for you, and not letting writing define who you are.

This post is part of IWSG, founded by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Thank you for visiting Writing Tips today. I hope you’ll come back and see me again real soon.

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved
Links to this blog and post are greatly appreciated. However, please don’t copy any content here.