Thursday, December 5, 2013

Book Review: Christmas Ideas, A Christmas Ideas Book by Sherrie Le Masurier

By M. J. Joachim


The title says a lot. Christmas Ideas, A Christmas Ideas Book is nothing if not repetitious. Granted, there are a whole lot of general and common ideas worth repeating throughout, but that’s just it. They are general and common sentiments expressed by so many of us as the holiday season approaches.

Because of this, I was looking for unique and original ideas, plus some added formatting (or lists) to make it easier to break down and follow. Busy families don’t have time to read paragraph after paragraph about being charitable and not running up bills they can’t afford. They need quick and easy tips, short lists and expeditious suggestions allowing them to implement those ideas without added hassle.

Overall, the book was fine and the ideas solid. It appears that a woman who’s been there, done that, wrote the book and shared her personal philosophy on how to do it too. Right down to keeping the dining room table set to prevent cluttering it up. I don’t know about you, but this idea is beyond unrealistic in my home. We live in our home, and keeping a centerpiece and full place settings on the table seems more appropriate for a display house, than one that’s trying to get ready for Christmas.

That’s not to imply de-cluttering is a bad idea. Keeping the clutter to a minimum is a must. However, keeping the table set 24/7 is positively out of the question in my home, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

As for minimizing spending, limiting and paying off credit card debt, drinking water instead of eating all that scrumptious holiday food and cutting lists in half etc. If it works for you, great! Personally, I think trying to follow the strict regimen in this book would stress me out more during the holidays. I would be more worried about who I slighted, not how much I saved by eliminating them from my list. That’s not to say I don’t spend within my means. I do. And charity is a huge part of the season for us too. It’s just that some of the ideas shared in this book are a bit extreme and not feasible during this time of the year.

Add in the common repetition throughout, and this book falls short of being included in my Recommended Reading List. Seriously, for a short book, it could have been a lot shorter. Add in a few typos and run-on sentences, and it didn’t quite make the cut.

That’s all for now, kind followers. My next post will be for Lexa and Julie’s Dream Destination Blog Hop. See you then!

M. J.

©2013 All Rights Reserved
Links to this blog and post are greatly appreciated. However, please don’t copy any content here.
Photo credit: Malene Thyssen, A Danish Christmas Tree, GNU Free Documentation License