Friday, August 2, 2013

Book Review: Morality for Atheists by M. Adams

by M. J. Joachim

Wow! That was painful! Just goes to show anyone can write down and say anything in a book! 


The gist of the message of this book is that atheists are people too. They do what people do which includes using a moral compass (albeit without any religious affiliation or belief in God). They raise children to be good upstanding citizens and they even donate to charity. In short, people are people and people do what people do. You certainly won’t get any argument from me on that point. 

However, you might when you try to tell me what Catholics believe and you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re likely to make me shake my head, when you claim theists only behave morally because of their fear of God and the Ten Commandments. 

It was all I could do to keep from saying, “post hoc hasty generalization” (reminiscing about my college course in logical thinking) out loud with almost every point Adams tried to make throughout the book. 

From a personal perspective, it is clear to me that distinguishing people by creed, deed and motive is not a course of action anyone needs to engage in, especially when trying to conjoin these three things together, as if without one aspect of these, the others become annihilated. 

Atheists without Morality will not be added to our Recommended Reading list, because, although I firmly believe there are moral atheists who practice good deeds out there, I find the logic and assertions in this manuscript faulty at best. I also was completely turned off by some of the formatting throughout the book, which included various points made in CAPITAL and bold letters. Okay already. I get it. You didn’t think your readers would be open enough to your material, without emphasizing it in dramatic form. Spare me, okay. I are a college graduate!

Thank you for visiting Writing Tips,

M. J. 

©2013 All Rights Reserved