Thursday, May 23, 2013

Time to Update Your Google Profiles Folks

by M. J. Joachim

Update:  Please read this post to make your own informed decision about switching to Google + comments on your blogs. 

I know. I know. But this is cutting edge networking, dear people. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” and all that stuff. Remember when we felt that way about Twitter, Pinterest and all the other ones that increase our page views now?

No. This post is not a marketing ploy to help people understand Google products better. It’s a plea with all of you to edit your Google profiles and include your sites, blogs and any other links you want people to click on in them. It’s a request to make it easier on those who visit your Google profile so we can find your sites and comment at will. When I visit your About Me section, I want to know where you work. I want to be able to find your pages and visit them at will.

One of the things I noticed since switching to Google comments the other day is that I’m taken to Google profiles, as opposed to blog ones. I scroll and find all sorts of things, mainly from things you’ve said on other people’s posts. Some of these posts are interesting and I’m glad to find them on your page. Still, I’m on a mission to find and comment on your blog, since you were kind enough to do the same for me.

Maybe the solution is to include a link right there in your comment, whenever you comment on someone’s blog…you know, the siggy thing. I noticed it’s not as neat now that I’m using Google + comments. People’s siggys are showing up in html, when before they were the name of their site, with the link hidden in the background. Guess it’s no biggie that I never figured out how to make those html siggys now, since using Google + comments doesn’t hide them anyway.

Marketing Yourself Effectively is Key

It doesn’t matter what tools you use for social networking and how you go about it. What matters is that your social networking tools (all of them) make it as easy as possible for people to find you and click on your links.

Maybe you don’t use Google + and have no intention of doing so. That’s your choice and you have every right to make it. However, there are thousands of people who do, so making it easy on them will only be to your ultimate benefit.

Thank you for visiting Writing Tips.

M. J.

Photo credit:  Chart semiotics of social networking, LuckyCharm54, public domain

©2013 All Rights Reserved