Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Regarding the Hunger Games Book & Movie…


by M. J. Joachim

It’s so nice to be blogging again after taking a few necessary days off during the first half of the month. I spent the morning doing outside things. My blogging routine is about to change for summer weather conditions. Extreme heat has arrived; I’ll be blogging more in the afternoon, as opposed to early morning for the next few months.

Hunger Games

It’s been whirl wind between the A – Z Challenge and my oldest graduating from college last week. Before I forget, I want to talk about Hunger Games. I read the book last April and promptly watched the movie. For those who don’t know the story, it’s about a fantasy culture where government has pretty much taken over, wreaking havoc on society by scaring everyone to death.

People became complacent, abiding by every rule, even ones that didn’t make sense and harmed them or their families. (I’m purposely not sharing specifics for those who might decide to read the book.) There are plenty of other sites to find the information. This post is not intended to be a synopsis or book report. My thoughts about Hunger Games went in an entirely different direction.

It’s been years since I’ve picked up a book I couldn’t put down. I read Hunger Games in less than four days. It was so good, I watched the movie afterward. It wasn’t my intention to read the book. My daughter had checked it out from the library; she read it first, in only three days. I picked it up and the same thing happened to me.

The opening was the draw and catch. There was no lag time trying to get into the story and what it was about. From the very first paragraph, you wanted to know more – you had to read more. It lured you in and continued luring you throughout the story.

Symbolism was a main backdrop throughout the book. This is society if things get out of control. Mind games and manipulation are very real and power struggles are more than a little dangerous, especially if the people (the general population and average citizens) lose their right to refute the powers that be.

Had I not read the book first, much of the intensity of the story would have been lost on me. My husband didn’t read the book. He watched the movie with me. I found myself filling in the blanks for him. From the very beginning of the movie, the premise was difficult to follow, without knowledge and insight into the story from reading the book.

Many things were omitted in the movie. There were undoubtedly numerous reasons for this, not the least of which appears to be the movie would have been an epic adventure lasting at least four hours or more if they were included. There’s just no way to pack that much into a movie script, though the writing in the book captured numerous condensed scenarios for its readers.

So there you have it…a brief commentary on Hunger Games. I like the book much more than the movie, and I highly recommend reading the book if you haven’t already. Be prepared to let everything else fall by the wayside when you do. It’s that good and if you’re like me and my daughter, you won’t be able to put it down.

Thanks for visiting Writing Tips. Things are starting to settle down around here again, so I should be posting more frequently now….barring the unstoppable book absorption. Summer reading has begun and my list of books seems to be growing every single day.

Best to all,

M. J.

Photo credit:  The Hunger Games Film Series, lionsgate.com/publicity, Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike, 1.0 Generic
©2013 All Rights Reserved