Monday, May 20, 2013

Poetic Expressions


by M. J. Joachim

Last week was heavy. I spent a lot of time thinking about a few things. I spent hours at the park. The weather was favorable and I knew this is only temporary, so I took the dog and we enjoyed our time outside walking around the lake, feeding the ducks and geese, playing and reading in the grass under a shady tree. I didn’t bring my camera or anything. No pics to share, just lots of abstract thoughts that led to the writing of three new poems I’ve been working on for a few days now. I’m sharing them on different blogs – visit my Google + page if you want to read them all; I expect to have each one published in the not too distant future.

This poem came about because in the past three months, two of my siblings have been hospitalized for illnesses that could easily have ended their lives. My sister just got out of the hospital last week. Phone calls seem so trivial, but it’s all I’ve got since I haven’t lived in my home town for many years now. One of the things that touched my heart is how easy it might be for anger to be the last words on our lips or in our hearts. Thankfully this wasn’t the case with my brother and sister and I, because anger is fleeting. Yet it has the power to destroy us if we let it.

A Moment in Time

Let anger be far from my lips, should I die in tomorrow’s grasp
Let foolishness be of unending bliss, and not my hard fought pride
Let love and honesty rule the day, as I make my way beyond
For I am but a child of God, to Him I hope to belong
Of all the battles and fights engaged, let none withhold my love
Standing strong is not to kill, relationships in this world
Being firm and of sound mind, does not mean I don’t care
Nor does thinking for myself mean I’m not quite all there
If I should die before I wake or with the morrow’s light
Let those who know me feel my love, ever thankful for my life
That I have touched theirs with mind, heart and soul
Giving everything I have, to love, respect and honor them
Despite all I am not, for they’ve imprinted on me too
A life well-lived and just, a journey that could not have been
Without their treasured touch, a moment passing quickly
A fortune never gained, a life is but a memory
When all is said and done

Thank you for visiting Writing Tips.


Photo credit:  Jonathan’s Run Falls (PA), Picture of the Day (February 24, 2009), Hubert Stoffels, Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic
©2013 All Rights Reserved