Wednesday, May 1, 2013

IWSG – So Many Ideas, So Little Time


by M. J. Joachim
Diving in was never an issue. I dove in and swam straight for the bottom to see what I could see; I knew it would be really cool and I’d find all sorts of treasures and unique inspirations, things that would delight and intrigue me in ways I never dreamed of. I was not disappointed in my journey toward the ocean floor.

I’m one of those people with so many ideas darting in and out of my brain. Sometimes it’s like grabbing the brass ring as the merry-go-round spins round and round, aiming for the clown’s mouth and hoping all the bells and whistles go off, meaning I get to collect a prize when the ride is over. Other times it’s like, “Turn it off already! I just need some time to think and it’s impossible to do so with all these distractions popping in and out of my head all the time!”

I’m insecure about rushing through and missing something. Consequently, I’m always grabbing myself by the sleeve and reminding myself to slow down, telling myself the world will keep on spinning if I take the time to breathe and enjoy each day as it comes. I make a point to give myself permission to listen to my soul much more than my mind and body. It’s not about racing, but engaging in the journey and being part of the event.

To that end, many ideas have disappeared like vapor into thin air. I may have been sitting on the couch drinking my coffee, watering the garden, changing the laundry – no writing tools in hand or nearby. I may have believed or convinced myself they were solid enough that I could remember them later – almost never happens, but it’s a good ruse I like to use when all else fails.

Take this post for example. It’s been written at least three times in my brain already. You’re getting a fourth version – the hard copy because I’m sitting at my computer as it releases. Life seems to happen this way. In a fleeting moment, we miss the glimpse of something carried away on the wind – all because we were looking in the other direction when it came to pass. I’m okay with that. My solution to so many ideas is to slow down and breathe. The water is fine, but no one can stay down there forever.

Thank you for visiting Writing Tips.

M. J.

InsecureWriter’s Support Group hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh

Photo credit:  Underwater, Explorer’s Cove, New Harbor, McMurdo Sound, PD-USGov
©2013 All Rights Reserved