Saturday, February 16, 2013

Unexpected Writing Lessons


by M. J. Joachim

I’m so not a techie when it comes to blogging. I’m also having so much fun that I’m not overly worried about my lack of skills. If I need something bad enough, all I have to do is search or ask. There are plenty of people around who can help me with the click of a mouse.

The other day, I had an absolute blast writing a story, connecting all my blogs together. Figuring out the links was challenging, I’ll admit. I know how to copy and paste, open in a new window, basic stuff anyone can figure out. It took time to organize and prepare this activity for publishing.

Reflecting on my little adventure, however, gives me an entirely new appreciation for it. This particular activity wasn’t about connecting my blogs, promoting the A – Z Challenge and playing a game with my blogging friends. (I did all those things too, but these weren’t the things it taught me.)

This activity was about writing a consistent story, from blog post to blog post – beginning to end, with mini-chapters that flowed from one blog post to another. It was also about making each blog post stand alone, for those who didn’t want to play the game.

Come to think of it, I loved dot-to-dot puzzles when I was a kid, especially extremely hard ones. You simply couldn’t make the right picture, if things didn’t connect a certain way, so you always had to pay attention to every detail, then step back a bit to get a good look at what you were making. And you never wanted to use pen, the first time around.

My writing tip for you today is to take a few random things that seemingly have no connection to each other, and connect the dots. See what sort of picture you come up with in your writing. Develop mini-chapters that flow together and share a story with a common thread. This is a challenge of sorts – one that will improve your writing skills.

Thank you for visiting Writing Tips.

Until next time, I wish you every good thing,

M. J.

Photo credit:  Christopher Columbus's Egg Puzzle, Sam Loyd, PD-US
©2013 All Rights Reserved