Thursday, October 25, 2012

Wiki This, Wiki That, Wiki-hone Your Writing Skills


by M. J. Joachim
Apparently you can’t hurt it, so you might as well have a little fun, play the game and become a better writer in the process.  According to Wiki Org, “Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create and edit Web page content using any Web browser.”

Wikiversity is a fabulous place to start! Wherever your interest may be, you are likely to find a school related to them. Upon doing so, you can review various writings, become familiar with specific technical writing skills, engage in the vernacular vocabulary, find a multitude of resources – resources you can use for vital information, as reference points or for prospective writing opportunities, I might add, and enhance your knowledge by leaps and bounds about almost anything your topic(s) addresses.

The Wiki Foundation is non-profit. They have organized their site into countless projects and sister projects, providing an almost limitless supply of multi-level resources, research and information into a vast array of learning sites and communities.

Information and material found on Wiki can be reused. The Wiki Foundation clearly states that most of their site contains works of individual creators, who specify licensing rights for reusing their work. Personally, I find WikiCommons to be a wonderful resource, choosing to use it quite frequently when adding pictures to my work.

Next up…

I’m hoping Wiki will help me familiarize myself more with html and coding. I know a little bit, but I’ve always wanted to enhance my skillset in this area. My personal philosophy on the matter…

If you can’t hurt it and they want you to be bold when changing it, why not take the time to learn some new skills when the opportunity presents itself?

That’s all for now, good peopleJ Wishing you every success with your writing!

M. J.

©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Public Domain