Monday, September 17, 2012

The Oval Portrait by Edgar Allen Poe


A Commentary by M. J. Joachim

In reading The Oval Portrait by Edgar Allen Poe, I was immediately captured by his intense descriptions in the opening paragraphs. For such a short piece, one that could easily qualify as flash fiction in some circles, this special attention to detail drew me into the story, and I found myself wanting to play a role, as it were, of one of his characters, or at least participate as an extra to observe first-hand what was to take place within the scene.

Several (background) images stood out and made a bold statement within the story to me:

The Main Character was Not Well
The Environment was Chosen by Necessity
The Era of the Piece was Unmistakable
Putting Oneself Second was the Rule of the Day
That Which was Hidden, was of Prime Importance in the Story

Then there were the messages within the story, the undeniable reason Poe must have written such a piece (imho), declaring and accusing workaholics of their folly, slamming them for this indolence and absence. This was a story declaring war…showing the depravity of it! A story that could relate to any number of circumstances in our lives, where we neglect that which is truly important, to selfishly address our own, impoverished needs, whatever they might be.


That’s all for now, kind followers. Happy Monday to you! I hope your weekend was positively amazingJ I spent much of mine in the yard. It’s planting season out here in the desert southwest, and I’ve been very busy getting beds ready and planting produce seeds. Home grown tastes so much better, you know.

Until next time, I wish you well!

M. J.


©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Public Domain