Monday, September 10, 2012

Puzzled Over Writing Flash Fiction


by M. J. Joachim

Writing flash fiction is truly a challenge for any writer. It forces one to consolidate ideas, get to the point, avoid using unnecessary words and create an intriguing plot with minimal words. These stories, albeit extremely short, often take quite a while to produce.

I was working on one recently called The Hiking Test. I wrote the rough draft the night before, so editing it should have been relatively easy. I’m a stickler for word count when it comes to flash fiction. The challenge I personally present myself with, is to keep it at 200 words or less.

Organizing one’s thoughts to keep flash fiction short is like entering a relay race. How will your opening paragraph give you the best start, capturing your audience to the fullest extent? Which paragraph will keep the piece solid and on track? What type of closing words will get the most “oooh’s and awes” from your readers?

It’s a puzzle indeed, and definitely one that will improve your writing skills across the board!

I've been in the flash fiction zone lately, as some of you may have guessed. Challenging myself to post to my new FlashTyme blog has been intriguing and a whole lot of fun. Regarding the picture for this post, I really liked it, that's all. Seemed to fit my mood when trying to stay at 200 or fewer words...

Wishing you all the best of everything! 

That's all for now, good people:)

M.J. 
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Creative Commons Attribution