Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Opening Your Own Bookstore – Idea Becomes Reality


Guest Post by Robin Tidwell

My husband came home one evening from his retail management job – he’d been doing this for decades – and glanced around my office while we were talking, taking in all the books and bookshelves lining the walls.

“Huh,” he said. “We should open a bookstore.”

I’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic, but I seized the opportunity and started making notes. We got to talking a bit more, and I asked what we should call it. He stared at me and said, “Wait a minute, are we really doing this? Let’s make sure we’re all on the same page here!”

Two hours later, we had a website and an opening date: October 1, 2011, which was in eight weeks.

I made a business plan; he gave his retirement notice at work. We had decent credit at the time, since we’d just closed on a house three days prior to that conversation, and we had other assets to borrow against. We are now, officially, in hock to the tops of our heads. We found a retail space to lease and convinced them that yes, they could have it ready by our opening date.

We got the keys on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. and opened on our target date, that Saturday. Whew! (And no, we didn’t sell my books – I got to buy MORE books!)

Congratulations on your (almost) one year anniversary Robin! Here's to many, many more! Sounds like this has been quite a wonderful experience and adventure for you!

That's all for now, good people! Until next time...

M. J. 

Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Public Domain