Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Book Review: The Lady and The Tiger by Frank R. Stockton

by M. J. Joachim
Updated 4/22/16




Upon reading the short story titled, The Lady or the Tiger, I found myself giving it a certain ancient voice in my head. My mind read with a faraway accent, something that happens when I indulge in reading classic literature written so long ago.

The story was very well written and fully engaging. It’s a timeless tale about a king passing judgment on subjects, a king who wants to be fair and prefers to please as many people as possible in his kingdom, regardless of the inadequate means he imposes to do so.

Conflict presents itself when judgment must be passed on the lover of the king’s daughter. This is a short story, so don’t expect me to explore the intricate details with you. It’s well worth a read, and I’ve no doubt you will enjoy doing so much more, than if I were to present a play-by-play version of it here on this blog post.

Stockton surprises readers with a variety of twists throughout the story, one of which is a jealous streak in the king’s daughter. Personally, I found myself full of animation and expression, hemming and hawing, nodding in agreement and then shaking my head in opposition. If I were to face the same set of circumstances, I’m not sure how I might respond, which is why I was so eager to read Stockton’s conclusion.

Expect the unexpected is about all I can say on the matter. I’m still in conflict over it all, the surprise ending of which, did nothing to alleviate my dilemma.

Until next time, good people, I wish you well!


M. J. Joachim

©2016 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Public Domain