Thursday, August 30, 2012

Blog Make-Over Series – Check Your Stats!


by M. J. Joachim

The first thing you want to do when considering making over your blog is check your stats. If you’re getting extremely limited page views and feedback, and if you don’t like working on your  blog, it may well be time to do an overhaul.

Study your audience and make an educated guess as to whether or not people are finding your blog by accident or on purpose. The blog I’m making over has less than 3,500 page views in 3+ years. It had less than 40 page views last month and 0 page views yesterday and today. My audience is from 2 small countries in Europe. I’m based in the United States, so I’m pretty sure no one if finding my blog on purpose.

Next, look at your posts under your stats. On my blog, only two entries show up, one for a post on diabetes – the title of my blog is not health related at all. My blog is about freelance writers, and the post contains links to several of them who wrote about diabetes. Another clue no one found this blog on purpose.

Now take a look at your posts. When was the last time you updated your blog, and when was the last time someone visited it? My last update was in 2011, which is also the last time anyone stopped by for a visit.

The above information is enough to indicate that I’m not earning any pennies for page views. However, it doesn’t hurt to check your earnings page just in case. If your blog is making money, it will show up in the list on your earnings page.

Once you’ve completed a stats check on your blog, you will know if you’re fully prepared to create a make-over for your blog. If you have any doubts at all, your best bet is to wait until you are excited about the possibility of overhauling your blog.

Until next time, good people, I wish you well!
M. J.
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Public Domain