Monday, May 7, 2012

Writing Investigation #1 Follow-up – Blog Rage


Blog rage! That’s all I can call it, and I’m not sure why it happened on my blog. Here I was working on a post relating to the writing prompt for Blog Hop #46, thus the picture of the window and the word “opportunity,” when suddenly I was blind-sided by more “F” words and other various profane comments from an anonymous visitor than I dared finish reading!

This was on my post from the previous day, a post that shared a little bit about myself, because I’d received my first blogging award from Dana, author of The Daily Dose. I’m not sure why this person forgot to pull up his big boy pants (or her big girl panties, for that matter), but clearly something about me sent him into a rambling, lunatic’s rage.

What to do…what to do…
I’d never experienced anything like this on my blogs before.

How long had these comments been there? Who might have been offended by such profanity being left on my blog? Is this raving idiot dangerous, stupid or merely completely devoid of any sense of human decency and manners?

Quite the quandary indeed…and to what end? For what purpose? How could “venting” in such a way make someone feel better or be healthy in any way, shape or form?

Oh, the questions can be never ending, can’t they?

The answer was obvious. The “dirty window” was right there, surrounded by many dark and curious accents. My story reveals how I chose not to engage in the attackers vengeance, but rather delete the unseemly cobwebs which played such a minor role in the blogging destination I am trying to create. None of this was about censoring or limiting the conversation encouraged on my blog (cleaning the dirty window).

It was about keeping my emotions in check, trusting in who I am and never letting any upset, no matter how big or small, stifle my efforts and visions relating to what I want to do and how I want to do it. This was about being true to myself and not letting bullies get the best of me.

Have you ever experienced blog rage?
How do you handle it?
Are you inclined to filter your comments to prevent it?
Has blog rage ever caused you to take a hiatus from your blog?

I’m very new to dealing with blog rage. Please, share your thoughts, so we can all learn from each other, and deal with blog rage bullies effectively. Thank you!

©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, Creative Commons Attribution