Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Use Your Words…and then, Learn Some New Words


Participating in the A – Z Challenge last April was exhilarating for me. We had to come up with posts relating to every letter of the alphabet, and sometimes this wasn’t so easy. I’ve always enjoyed playing with words, so this game was right up my alley.

Writing on the Internet has taught me quite a few things about searching for whatever I need or want. Using these search skills, I didn’t mess around when it came to the A – Z Challenge. Relating the letter X to crochet was easy enough – but also rather obvious. Someone even commented she was surprised I came up with something so original, as she figured I’d just write about a simple cross stitch or something.

Oh, there are some beautiful “X” patterns, motifs and designs in crochet to be sure; I’ll undoubtedly be sharing them on my blog at some point in the future. That was way too easy though, and I wasn’t about to limit myself to the mass hysteria exposing itself, as over 1,700 A – Z participants worried over what to post for letter X. It’s not my style. I’d rather create an element of surprise for people, and have a little fun instead.

As you can see, I’m going overboard and exaggerating (creative writing skills at work for your pleasure); none-the-less, I ventured into the world of search skills to discover unusual words I could apply to my crochet blog for the letter X. I literally typed, “Words that begin with X” in the search bar and found numerous links to choose from, each containing a large list of X words.  One of my favorite sites is Crossword Clue Solver. It’s where I came up with the word, xeranthemum. Wouldn’t you know my Xeranthemum crochet blog post is one of my most popular to date!

©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Teresa DePoy