Thursday, May 17, 2012

Internet Standards for Websites and Blogs


Some of the best websites and blogs I’ve visited on the Internet are ones that show some sign of organization. They are often topic based, easy to navigate, easy to follow and very welcoming. Many times, they provide new insights for me to consider. Quite often, they take the edge off my days, allowing me to laugh a bit and take life (and myself) a little less seriously.

A few standard Internet rules I try to religiously abide by are:


  • Create a happy place for people. Regardless of your website or blog topic, be a place where people can feel the fresh air, enjoy the sunshine and respond to the positive energy that’s part of your message. It’s easy enough to address serious issues, without being a “Negative Nancy” about them.


  • Never badmouth family or friends. Anger and frustration passes quickly enough, but words posted on the web remain forever. That’s not to say I don’t lean on family and friends when I’m having a very tough time. It is to imply that I do my best never to gossip, which is one of the worst things a person can do, imho.


  • Keep it short and sweet. Time is precious and as much as I know everyone who visits my website and blogs hang on my EVERY word, I also know most people are there only until they move onto the next thing they have to do – fleeting moments, as they are, and not mine to impose various degrees of frustration on, while trying to keep people on my pages.


Everyone has favorite websites and blogs with various reasons why they return time and time again. What are some of yours? Please share them in the comments, so we can all learn from each other and maybe even initiate some changes to our own blogs. One never knows what we haven’t thought of, until someone lists it as a favorite item or pet peeve. Thanks for your help on this, good people. And thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog today!

©2012 All Rights Reserved
Photo Credit: Wikicommons, GNU Free Documentation License